Narragansett House Watch Hill - early 1900's
HISTORIC WATCH HILL INN VILLA RESIDENCES - RHODE ISLAND
The historic Watch Hill Inn, located across from the Little Narragansett Bay, opened in 1845 as a 3 1/2 story structure. It was built for Nathan Nash, a son of the first Watch Hill lighthouse keeper and hotelier, Jonathan Nash.
In 1916, most buildings on Bay Street were destroyed by a devastating fire, however the Narragansett House was lucky enough to survive. As the Hurricane of 1938 swept through the village causing major damage and destruction, the Narragansett was one of only two Watch Hill hotels to remain open after the storm.
Between the 1950's and early 1980's the Inn ran successfully by families such as the Santoro's, Lenihan's, Buckley's, and Quinn's. In 1985, New York City real estate developer Peter Catalano and his wife Dana Valery Catalano purchased the property and changed the hotel name to the Watch Hill Inn. The building went under a major renovation and re-opened in 1986 with a new restaurant and 16 remodeled guest rooms. In 1989 a spacious banquet room overlooking the bay was opened and between 1990 and 2005 the Watch Hill Inn became a popular location for weddings.
In 2005 (because of the changing Rhode Island fire codes) the Catalano's were faced with a decision; demolition or restoration. The Catalano's, RGB Architects, and the Historical Preservation Commission collaborated in an effort to save the structure. The building was transformed into luxury condominiums, available for sale as well as vacation rentals. Simultaneously, the Catalano's constructed a new condominium building next to the Watch Hill Inn, introduced as the Bayside.
Today, the Watch Hill Inn and Bayside feature one - four bedroom coastal style residences with custom kitchens, ceramic tile baths, spacious private terraces, and of course, spectacular water and sunset views. All unit owners at the Watch Hill Inn and Bayside have the option to enter the income producing Rental Program run by Ocean House Management, operators of the Ocean House and Weekapaug Inn, two Relais & Chateaux properties nearby.
Although the Watch Hill Inn has evolved over the 168 years of its existence, one thing has remained the same. It's been a destination location for families to enjoy the sandy beaches, quaint shops, restaurants, and all Watch Hill village has to offer.
Own a condo at the Watch Hill Inn and become a part of its history. Contact us at 401-315-5454 for more information.
Vacation at the Watch Hill Inn in one of the newly renovated villas. Click here for rental information.
Narragansett House Late 1800's
Narragansett House in 1907
Narragansett Inn during the 1960's
Re-opening as the Watch Hill Inn after 1985 renovation
Watch Hill Inn in 2005 before latest renovation
Watch Hill Inn & Bayside Condos today